Defining personal information
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual, but does not include the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization. Personal information can include an individual’s opinions or beliefs as well as facts about, or related to, the individual.
Where an individual uses his or her home contact information as business contact information as well, we consider that the contact information provided is business contact information, and is not therefore subject to protection as personal information.
What personal information we collect
The personal information collected will include at least some of the following from persons over the age of 14:
- User name
- Email address
- Profession (student, parent, teacher, community leader)
- City and province
- If a student, the grade he or she is in
- Name of the school attending
How personal information is collected
SMARTRISK collects personal information:
- When individuals register for SMARTRISK fundraising events;
- When donations are made to SMARTRISK;
- When individuals contact SMARTRISK requesting information, website updates, newsletters or other information and resources;
- When individuals participate in surveys, conferences, learning sessions, and industry consultations;
- When individuals register to use informational databases or communication tools found on SMARTRISK’s website; and
- When individuals send an e-mail regarding this website or its content to a SMARTRISK e-mail address.
In addition, SMARTRISK will automatically receive information on visitors to the SMARTRISK website through server logs, which receive and record the following user information:
- IP address
- Number of visits
- Pages visited
- Duration of each visit
- Search engine and search terms used to find the SMARTRISK website
Uses of personal information
SMARTRISK uses information about you:
- To provide you with the services and information you request;
- To provide you with updates, new and existing program information and products, newsletters, and materials we believe will be of interest to you;
- To process your registration for SMARTRISK fundraising events;
- To process your donation, including billing and administration of your account;
- To provide you with tax receipts for donations and to solicit donations in the future;
- To invite your participation in research surveys and evaluations;
- To keep track of volunteers and key contacts.
Information received through server logs will be used strictly for the following purposes:
- To customize content to users’ preferences;
- To evaluate the website, and its effectiveness at meeting users’ needs;
- To evaluate online interest in SMARTRISK’s programs, campaigns, tools, resources and services.
If you have not opted out of receiving marketing materials, we may also use (but will not disclose) your personal information to promote and market additional goods, services and special offers from us, including by means of direct marketing.
Disclosure of personal information
Except with your consent, we will not sell, license, trade or rent your personal information to or with others.
SMARTRISK may disclose personal information through its ongoing operations in the following circumstances:
- When a user knowingly submits personal information to a publicly available informational database or communication tool;
- If a law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena or court order legally requires or authorizes us to do so; and
- When believed by SMARTRISK to be necessary to prevent illegal activities or to protect the physical safety of any person.
Knowledge and Consent
We collect personal information about you only when you voluntarily provide it. Typically, we will seek consent for the use or disclosure of your personal information at the time of collection. In certain circumstances, consent may be sought after the information has been collected but before use (for example, when we want to use information for a purpose not previously identified).
The form of consent that we seek, including whether it is express or implied, will largely depend on the sensitivity of the personal information and the reasonable expectations of the individual in the circumstances.
You may withdraw consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. If you wish to withdraw your consent at any time, please contact us at the numbers set out below. We will inform you of the implications of withdrawing consent.
We will not, as a condition of the supply of a product or service, require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfill the explicitly specified and legitimate purposes for which the information is being provided.
Protection of personal information
Personal information gathered by SMARTRISK is kept in confidence. Our staff are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained. Safeguards are in place to ensure that the information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was gathered. We also take measures to ensure the integrity of this information is maintained and to prevent its being lost or destroyed, in both electronic and physical form. These procedures include the following:
- In the case of SMARTRISK’s Donation’s Database, access is limited to SMARTRISK employees and is stored on an on-site computer behind a firewall
- In the case of listservs, access is limited to only those SMARTRISK employees believed to require access to the lists and to listserv moderators
- Personal information contained in e-mail format is restricted by password and is stored on an on-site computer behind a firewall
- Encrypting personal information during transmission with industry-standard SSL encryption
We routinely offer individuals the opportunity to opt not to have their information shared for purposes beyond those for which it was explicitly collected.
SMARTRISK may send a cookie to your computer. A cookie is a small piece of information that a website can store on your web browser and later retrieve. SMARTRISK may access these cookies upon return visits to the website. You can disable your browser’s ability to accept cookies, but if you do so, some features and content on the website may not function properly.
Reviewing and correction of personal information
Users of the SMARTRISK website can review their personal information as collected by SMARTRISK through the website at any time, by the following method:
- By contacting the Website Administrator
You can also review your personal information on file by contacting the privacy officer, noted below.
If you believe that any information we have about you is incorrect, please contact us.
Retention and Storage of Your Personal Information
SMARTRISK retains your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and to comply with applicable laws, and your consent to such purposes remains valid after termination of our relationship with you.
Privacy policies of other websites
SMARTRISK is not responsible for the content or the privacy policies or privacy practices of the websites to which it may link, nor is it responsible for the privacy policies or privacy practices of individuals or organizations contacted through the SMARTRISK website. It is important to familiarize yourself with their privacy policies before providing them with your personal information.
Questions and comments
36 Eglinton Avenue West, Suite 704, Toronto M4R 1A1
36 Eglinton Avenue West, Suite 704, Toronto M4R 1A1